Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Gamecocks Moe Brown releases statement concerning June arrest

To follow-up on this story, Gamecocks Moe Brown released the following statement today through his attorney, Lowell E. Bernstein - - -
“In response to numerous media requests, on the morning of June 1, 2009, I was stopped for speeding,” Brown’s statement reads. “During the investigative stop, I voluntarily informed the police officer that I had a registered gun in the vehicle. I was 21 years of age and the legal and registered owner of the pistol. However, I had the gun under my seat and since it was not in the glove box at that time, I was charged with unlawful carrying. After a court hearing approximately one month later, the misdemeanor charge was dismissed and the matter was closed in my mind. This incident occurred during the summer break and it was a private matter for my family and me.”
According to the arrest report Brown was charged with possession of a firearm, speeding and driving without insurance.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) records list only the speeding and insurance charges, which are misdemeanors. Brown, who was pulled over by Columbia police, was charged with doing 70 miles per hour in a 35 mile per hour zone.

Under state law it is illegal to carry a gun under a car seat, although having one in a glove compartment, console or trunk is within the law.  A judge later dismissed the gun charge.

So it seems he is innocent right?  No big deal....

No comments: